Chapter 17 Test
EM NO ETIRW ESAELP
For the following molecular structures predict whether the
molecule is polar or non-polar.
Note: to receive full credit you must show how you made your prediction (i.e. show arrows)
|1. (3 pts) CO2||4. (3 pts) H2O|
|2. (3 pts) CH2Cl2||5. (3 pts) PH3|
|3. (3 pts) CBr4||6. (3 pts) NH4Cl|
Identify whether the intermolecular attractions between the
following molecules will be hydrogen
bonding, dipole interactions, or dispersion forces:
7. (2 pts) HCl
8. (2 pts) HF
9. (2 pts) CH3Br
10. (2 pts) CH4
Predict whether each of the following substances is soluble in
water. Give reasons for your
11. (2 pts) HF
12. (2 pts) NaNO3
13. (2 pts) CCl4
14. (4 pts) Which of the following two molecules is more polar? Explain.
15. (4 pts) Would NaCl dissolve in CCl4? Explain.
16. (4 pts) A student adds a few salt crystals to a salt water
solution. The salt crystals
dissolve immediately. Was the original solution saturated or unsaturated? Explain.
17. (4 pts) Explain in terms of gas solubility whether a warm
soda or a cold soda will go flat
18. (4 pts) Explain in terms of Henry's law why keeping a cap
on a bottle of soda will prevent
it from going flat.
Calculate the molarity of the following solutions:
19. (4 pts) 2.5 mol CH3COONa in 5.0 L of solution
20. (5 pts) 46.0 g of NaF in 5,500.0 mL of solution
21. (4 pts) How many grams of K2SO4 are in 55.0 mL of a 0.40 M K2SO4 solution?
22. (4 pts) Which of the following solutions would conduct an electric current? Explain.
23. A. (4 pts) How many mL of a 12.0 M H2SO4 solution are
required to make 200.0 mL
of a 0.40 M H2SO4 solution?
B. (3 pts) Describe how you would make this solution.
24. (4 pts) Is it possible to make a 13.0 M HCl solution by
diluting a 12.0 M HCl solution?
25. (3 pts) 5.0 moles of NaI are dissolved in 50.0 mL of
solution. Calculate the molarity of
26. (3 pts) If 45 mL of H2O are added to the solution in
problem 25, calculate the molarity of
the resulting solution.
Calculate the concentration in ppm for the following:
27. (5 pts) 22.0 mg of Cd in 23.4 kg of solution
28. (4 pts) The concentration of Pb in spring water is 2.3
ppm. How many grams of Pb could
be found in a 2.0 L bottle of spring water?
Which of the following solutions would have a lower freezing point? Show work.
29. (3 pts) 1.0 M K3PO4 1.0 M K2SO4
30. (3 pts) 2.0 M HF 1.5 M H2SO4
31. (5 pts) Describe in detail why H2O is a liquid at room
temperature and why methane
(CH4) is a gas at room temperature. Include in your explanation a discussion about
32. (3 pts) Describe three characteristics that you would like
your ideal girlfriend/boyfriend to
possess (please use no X-rated terms).