Sorry, I did not have time to scan a picture of the orbital. It
looked like a hula hoop
For the following questions, refer to the diagram of the orbital shown
to the right (see
1. Is this orbital an s, p, d, or f orbital?
2. Pictures of orbitals such as this one are often drawn as having a
shape. Is this smooth shape accurate? If not, explain what the shape represents.
3. Complete the following orbital energy diagram up to and including the 4f orbital:
1s_, 2s_, 2p_ _ _, etc....
4. Write electron configurations for the following elements:
5. How many unpaired electrons are their in the element nitrogen?
6. How many electrons are there in the highest occupied energy level of Se atom?
7. What is the maximum number of electrons that can fit into the third
energy level of
8. is the following atoms in its ground state? Explain?
1s2 2s2 2p5 3s1
9. Which of the following colors of light has the highest frequency: red or blue?
10. Which of the following colors of light has the longest wavelength: red or blue?
11. A surfer catches a wave with a frequency of 1.0 Hz. If the
wavelength of this wave
is 4.3 meters, what is the speed of the wave?
12. What is the energy of a wave that has a frequency equal to 5.3 x 1014 Hz?
13. If atom A shown to the right had an electron that dropped from the
3p orbital to the
2s orbital, calculate the following.
3p -- 9.5 x 10-19 -- 3s -- 1.7 x 10-18 -- 2p -- 3.8 x 10-18 -- 2s -- 1.5 x 10-17 -- 1s
A. The energy of the photon of light emitted.
B. The frequency of light emitted.
C. The wavelength of light emitted.
14. Could the atom shown to the right absorb a light photon with an
energy of 2.0 x
10-17 J? explain.
15. Atoms are such small objects, and yet every atom could be said to
infinite amount of space. Explain how this can be possible.
16. When two different elements are heated, they each give off different
colors of light.
A. Describe why light is given off from an atom when it is heated?
B. Why are the colors of light given off from one atom different from another?
2. long answer
3. 1s_ 2s_ 2p_ _ _ 3s _ 3p _ _ _ 4s_ 3d _ _ _ _ _ 4p _ _ _ 5s _ 4d _ _ _ _ _ 5p _ _ _
(cont) 6s_ 4f _ _ _ _ _ _ _
4. A. 1s2 2s2 2p2
B. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p3
C. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p4
8. No, because...
11. 4.3 m/s
12. 3.5 x 10-19 J
13. A. 6.45 x 10-18 J
B. 9.7 x 1015 Hz
C. 3.1 x 10-8 m